Brittain Dining Hall Undergoes Renovation
The majestic Brittain Dining Hall is undergoing a $1.2 million renovation that includes both structural repairs and aesthetic improvements.
Named for Georgia Tech President M. L. Brittain, the dining hall opened its doors in 1928. The gothic structure was designed by architecture professor Harold Bush-Brown. Sculptor Julian Harris, Arch 28, designed the towering stained-glass window as a memorial to the classes of 1928-32.
A donation of $100,000 from the estate of late alumnus William R. "Roane" Beard is earmarked to renovate the President's Dining Room on the second floor. The Class of 1974 donated $52,000 to beautify the staircase in compliance with historical society guidelines.
During Spring Break crews began removing plaster around windows to determine precise renovation needs. Seating in the main dining area of the facility will be increased from its current 290 to 350. Even the chandelier will be refurbished with new electrical components.
Work completed last year includes the repair of water damage, addition of protective enclosures for windows, waterproofing of the exterior and roof and gutter maintenance.
Construction is expected to be finished in mid-August. Although the dining hall will be closed during renovation, the kitchen will be open for summer conferences. All student-dining services will be transferred to the Woodruff Dining Hall for the summer months.
printer-friendly version of this article
back to index