Feedback · 75th Anniversary Edition

That's My Ol' Cap

As a former editor and publisher, I extend my congratulations on the beautiful job of the 75th Anniversary edition. It was my honor to be on your cover in the Winter 1997 issue on "Aging and Memory." The article noted that I was the oldest volunteer in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

As rat caps go, I see on Page 9 that you have my old rat cap, Class of 1923, mixed with other memorabilia. My name is on the bill, and holes are in it. I had to retrieve it from the garbage once because my wife had tossed it out! [After attending Georgia Tech] I graduated from the business school of the University of South Carolina, and I have been informed that I am the oldest living graduate.

I am looking forward to Tech's Homecoming, but I never get to see my 1923 classmates anymore. I turned 96 on July 6. And if the temperature is under 90 degrees, I still get out and cut my own grass.

Charles Fram, Cls '23


One-Word Summary

In a word, the Spring 1998 Georgia Tech Alumni 75th Anniversary edition is SUPER! I read it cover-to-cover. It is a job extremely well done. (Now, of course, you will have to better your performance next time around.)

Marion D. Kitchens, AE '58

Oakton, Va.

Fascinating Capsule

Thanks for the grand job of editing this fascinating capsule of Georgia Tech history and traditions. The 75th Anniversary issue is the best edition of the Alumni Magazine I have ever seen. Keep up the good work!

R. R. "Randy" Stevens, IE '61

Lutz, Fla.

Never Looked Back

The 75th anniversary issue was great! You have invited submissions significant to Georgia Tech's history: I offer you the true story about Technology Park/Atlanta.

Around 1970, I was in New York City, sitting in my office when the phone rang. It was my old friend, Tom Hall, who was then an executive at the Georgia Tech Foundation. He said he wanted me to attend a presentation in New York City on a new development called Technology Park/Atlanta. He pointed out that this was an important development for Georgia Tech because all of the investors were alumni, and many of them would probably give their shares to the Foundation some day.

I knew that the Georgia legislature sometimes under-funded Georgia Tech because so many of its graduates moved out of the state. The real problem was the lack of sufficient high-technology jobs in Georgia. The development of TP/A (which was modeled after a similar successful development at Stanford University) would ameliorate this "brain drain."

I attended the presentation as Tom requested and sent back to him a candid report. I was embarrassed to learn that my candid report had been relayed to the sponsor of TP/A, Paul Duke, a successful Tech alumnus. My phone rang again. "Why don't you come down here and give us a hand with this thing," Duke said. The next thing I knew I was in a fabulous housea replica of Taraand petting his golden retriever, aptly named "Tech." Duke converted me to the cause, and quickly I became both an investor and a director in TP/A.

Unfortunately, before TP/A could reach its critical mass, a violent real estate recession hit Atlanta. In a few years, with virtually no sales, TP/A was faced with a maturity of all of its debt and no money to pay it. Georgia Tech's great president, Joseph M. Pettit, quietly eased off our board of directors, and people wondered how we were going to avoid embarrassing the school. Once again, my telephone ran and it was a few of the TP/A directors. They thought that my financial background could be helpful to the project if I got more involved, so they asked me to become chairman of the board. I wasn't sure what I would be able to do, but I was sure I ought to do something, so I accepted.

We quickly decided that we had to find a high-powered salesman and make him president. We recruited Charlie Brown, a Tech architectural graduate, and he immediately created a lot of sales prospects. (Charlie and I still joke about how lucky it was for all of us that he did not know how to read a financial statement when he took the job.)

After a few months, Charlie had some tenants who wanted to rent a building, but TP/A didn't have an empty one, and no financial institution would loan us money to build one because they were afraid they would get caught up in some kind of bankruptcy. TP/A's debt to the C&S Bank was getting extended by the bank, but they did not have an appetite to loan any more money. Fortu nately, the First National Bank of Atlanta was run by two great Georgia Tech graduates: Tom Williams was chairman and Raymond Riddle was president. They decided to loan TP/A the money to build the new buildingproviding that the individual board members personally guaranteed the loan. To the credit of the loyal directors, we all signed the loan, and the building was built. Then more companies came to TP/A, and our growth had started.

We never looked back. Technology Park/Atlanta became a renowned development for high-technology parks. A few years later, we sold the majority interest to an English company, and many of us gave our shares to the Georgia Tech Foundation. These gifts, in aggregate, represented one of the largest gifts to the Foundation at that time. The portion of TP/A that the Foundation still owns is a source of significant dividend income each year, and it is now worth quite a bit more than what TP/A was valued at when we sold. The many high-tech jobs that TP/A created in Atlanta probably contributed to the critical mass that today makes Atlanta a leading location for such activities.

So, thanks to the great salesmanship of Charlie "Sparkplug" Brown, the vision of Paul Duke, the patience of the C&S Bank, the courage of the First National Bank of Atlantaand the loyalty of the TP/A directorsthis saga had a happy ending.

Michael Tennenbaum, IE '58

Los Angeles

Searching for Burdell

It seems everyone else has told their Burdell story, and I am 30-plus years overdue in telling this one:

In the mid-'60s, I was assigned as Air Liaison Officer/Forward Air Controller with the Third Battalion, Eighth Marines. I shared a junior officers' four-man bunk room on the USS Guam with another first lieutenant, an infantry officer named Fred Mastin.

When we realized that we were apparently the only ones to have extra bunks in our room, we created two bunkmates: He created Lt. j.g. Charles Cromwell, and I created 1st Lt. George P. Burdell. We made nametags for them and put them on the hatch of the bunk room.

Our little joke was unknown to anyone but us; even our neighbors in the same passageway would ask us who Burdell and Cromwell were, and what their jobs were.

As anyone with military experience knows, we were awash in unfamiliar acronyms and jargon that made our charade believable. When asked who this guy Burdell was, I would reply that he was the "PROVMAG liaison to the PHIBGROUP," and we hardly ever saw him. We said this secure in the knowledge that nobody would admit that they had no idea what we were talking about, and, of course, neither did we. After a few weeks of this, the joke got stale and evolved into only an occasional paging of Burdell on the ship's intercom.

We were satisfied that we had created a mildly successful ruse and happy-hour story.

Then came the night before we disembarked, when Ensign Barczikowski, the wardroom treasurer, appeared to beg for help in finding Burdell and Cromwell. It seems they had not paid their mess bill for our several months aboard ship, and he was in fear of getting stuck with the bill himself. We said we would pass the word if, by chance, we saw either of them.

I have always felt slightly guilty about this, so Ensign Barczikowski, if you read this, there is a check waiting for you from George P. Burdell.

Larry Taylor, IM '62

Major General (retired) USMC


Unforgettable Days

When reading the summer edition of the Alumni Magazine, I vividly recalled my unforgettable days at Tech during the '70s. Coming from Puerto Rico at age 17 with limited resources, my first stop was at the financial aid office. After several hours of reviewing many financial packages, the counselors offered their advice. Later that day, I was ready to begin my undergraduate studies. Language proved to be no barrier, thanks to the teachers and staff who recognized my interest and effort.

After obtaining my bachelor's degree in chemistry with highest honors, I was fortunate to meet a wonderful group of people at Emory University who helped me in a similar fashion. At that institution, I not only completed my medical school studies, but also my internal medicine residency. In July 1986, I began fulfilling my National Health Service Corps Scholarship obligation in a small community along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, where I have lived and practiced since.

I thank the clerks, professors, assistants and other staff who contributed to my dream to become a physician, allowing me to help the needy Hispanic population of Nogales, Ariz. I will remain forever grateful.

Eladio Pereira, Chem '79

Mariposa Community Health Center

Nogales, Ariz.

Hey, Look Us Over!

I enjoy your excellent magazine and was particularly interested in the article about [Tech's campus in] Metz [France], with its high-quality photography and design [Summer 1998]. As you probably know, Georgia Tech has a base in Oxford at Worcester College.

The Provost of Worcester College met with President Wayne Clough in July to discuss the growing demand for places on this particular study-abroad program. The program director is Professor Art Koblasz and he, the faculty and 200 students [were] in residence from Aug. 9 to Sept. 12. We would be willing to assist you with [developing] an article. I am sure you would find some exciting shots around Oxford University.

Col. D. E. King

Worcester College

Oxford University

Metz Campus 'Modern Relic'

As an undergraduate and master's graduate of the College of Architecture, I am dismayed at the representation of the Georgia Tech Lorraine campus [Summer 1998 Alumni Magazine]. This building is a "modern relic" and an example of suburban sprawl at its worst!

How can we address the degradation of environment and abuse of resources [as presented in the profile on Dr. William Chameides] on page 79 and ignore our degrading planning influence on the town fabric of Metz, France? Georgia Tech recognizes today that sensitive urban planning is at the heart of environmental sustainability, yet our built legacy is to reinforce the highway sprawling out from Metz.

Perhaps our unwillingness to integrate our building design into the fabric of the town is also a reflection of our inability to integrate linguistically into the culture. Our French-based programs are a great opportunity for learning and exchange. Let's bring home from Metz a great lesson about planning pedestrian-oriented towns for a sustainable future.

Greg Ramsey, '81, M Arch '91


The Georgia Tech Lorraine campus building, owned and built by the French, while clearly visible from the Strasbourg highway, is located in Technôpole Metz 2000, a science and technology park that specializes in communications and software. Its modern architectural design is consistent with other buildings within the technology park. The building is owned by the city of Metz and rented by GTL. Georgia Tech Lorraine is a French academic and research organization created and operated under French law, but its research and academic programs, including degree-granting programs, are the responsibility of Georgia Tech.

Native Son

My first day at Georgia Tech in September 1934, found me walking around campus investigating my new home. In the "Robbery," a combination soda fountain and small convenience store in the basement of the Administration Building, there were photos of Tech's all-time football team. One was of Joseph Napoleon Guyon, a four-time All-America football player, who gained grid-iron fame as "Indian Joe." Close by was an action photo of the "Dream Team Backfield" of coach John Heisman's 1917 National Championship team: Everett Strupper, Albert Hill, Judy Harlan and, carrying the ball, Joe Guyon.

Years later, Joe Guyon and I became friends, and he asked me to become his partner in organizing an all-Indian baseball team that would play a series of exhibition games nationwide. Joe had a sister in my hometown of Tulsa, Okla., and was planning to move there. Unfortunately, I was transferred from Tulsa to Denver and our plans were postponed and later abandoned.

Though a terror on the football field, off the field Joe was a gentleman, light-hearted, bright, animated and witty. He was also the only Tech player named to both the National Professional Football Hall of Fame and the National Collegiate Football Hall of Fame. He played halfback under Heisman in 1917 and 1918.

Ralph McGill, who was a sportswriter before becoming the celebrated editor of The Atlanta Constitution, wrote, "There is really no argument of identity of the greatest football player who ever performed in Dixie. There is a grand argument about second place, but for first place there is just one, Joseph Napoleon Guyon, the Chippewa brave from Georgia Tech."

Guyon was born on the White Earth Indian Reservation near Brainerd, Minn., on Nov. 26, 1892. Although he received only an elementary education on the Indian reservation, Guyon said he realized that sports and school went hand-in-hand, and he was determined to overcome his educational handicap.

"It was hard trying to make something of yourself," Guyon once said, "and sports was one of the few ways a youngster could pull himself up."

Guyon's older brother, Charles, was an excellent athlete and Joe's role model. In about 1904, Charles left the reservation to enroll at the Haskell Institute, a school for Native Americans near St. Louis. He was a standout on the Haskell football team and transferred to Pennsylvania's then-famous Carlisle Indians football team. It wasn't long until Joe also enrolled at Carlisle.

Joe's football career at Carlisle was shaped by two football legends: coach Glen "Pop" Warner and team captain Jim Thorpe.

The Philadelphia Enquirer marveled at Joe Guyon's natural talent, and one headline read, "Joe Guyon may turn out to be another Jim Thorpe."

Following his years at Carlisle, where he was Thorpe's other halfback and earned All-America honors in 1912 and 1913, Guyon attended Keewatin Academy in Prairie Du Chien, Wis., to bolster his grades for admission into one of the major universities. When he finished the academy, Guyon received several scholarship offers and decided to visit some of the schools. At a stop on the way to visit a North Carolina school, he was met by his brother Charles, who had become an assistant coach under Heisman at Tech. Joe changed his plans and decided to play for Tech.

Joe's football career at Tech for the 1917 and 1918 seasons was spectacular.
"There are lots of Tech backs of Guyon's day that owe most of their enduring fame to Joe Guyon," McGill wrote. "They could follow that big fellow and run to glory because he cleared the way, and I mean he cleared it!"

Another writer who watched Guyon at Tech reported that "survivors of the teams Tech played in those days still shudder to recall the multiple impacts when Guyon blocked or tackled them, and he could punt over 60 yards consistently, place-kick from midfield and pass with the best."

The 1916-17 version of the I-formation at Tech. Right to left: Judy Harlan, Strup Strupper, and Albert Hill lead the way for Joe Guyon. Right: Joe Guyon at his induction into the Professional Football Hall of Fame.

When Guyon finished at Tech, Jim Thorpe sent for him. Thorpe was president, coach and a player for the professional Canton Bulldog football team in Canton, Ohio, and in 1919 and 1920, Guyon teamed with Thorpe at halfback, and Canton did not lose a single game.

A 179-pound back, Guyon played seven seasons in the National Football League, which was organized in 1920, for six different teams. He finished his professional career with New York in 1927. "I did everything except sell programs," Guyon quipped.

Yet Guyon said the "greatest time of my life" happened off the field at Thorpe's wedding. "I was Jim's best man!"

In 1966, Joe Guyon received the ultimate career recognition induction into the Professional Football Hall of Fame in Canton. Among those invited to the ceremony was President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who had been one of Joe's opponents when Carlisle defeated Army's football team many years before.

Joseph P. Byrd III

Lufkin, Texas

V-12 Program Was Vital

The Spring edition of the Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine had the most fascinating bit of writing I've ever read. And being part of that history made it even more interesting. You asked for anecdotes and recollections: Here's mine.

During the war years, I was pulled out of the fleet and entered Tech in 1944 as a sophomore in the Navy's V-12 program. The previous year, I was a freshman in the program at the University of North Carolinaa two-year program to become an ensign. However, "A" and "B" students could transfer to Georgia Tech's four-year program to become ensigns, which I chose to do.

What a difference! I didn't know what I was getting into. While at UNC I was an "A" or "B" student, at Tech I soon became "C, D, E, F, G" student, even though I had never studiedor prayedso hard in my life.

I'm sure the V-12 program kept Georgia Tech alive during World War II. I don't understand how Tech could have survived without it, with 12 million men in uniform.

I stayed at Tech until the war ended and re-enrolled immediately after being discharged. Soon thereafter, I married and suddenly became an "A, B" student. After marriage, I had no reason to cat aroundplus my wife typed my papers, which professors tended to like.

One of my favorite professors was Doc [D.M.] Smith, a math professor. He was some character. He could make calculus seem so simple in class you'd think a first grader could learn it. But when you got back to the dormitory, you'd soon find out differently.

The swimming coach was [Fred] "don't touch the sides" Lanoue. On Thursdays, we played water polo for 45 minutes without getting out of the pool for a rest. All that time he was saying, "Don't touch the sides." If you held on the sides, he stepped on your fingers. After that swim, we were exhausted. Once his picture was in Life magazine, which described him as being a great swimming coach. [Lanoue gained national recognition as the founder of drownproofing, a swimming technique to avoid drowning.]

Sideways the dog was very much a part of our lives. She had been [injured in an automobile mishap and walked] and ran sideways, the most peculiar gait anyone had ever seen. She was so popular the Atlanta Journal chronicled her, and hardly a week went by but what she made the papers. She attended classes and snored loudly when the professor's lecture became too boring.

On one occasion, [football] tickets were oversold, and about 100 students couldn't get in to see the game. About two hours before kickoff, we sat on the football field and wouldn't move. Tech officials hustled out 100 chairs and placed them on the running track. We had the best seats in the stadium.

[Some of us] were violently opposed to the name change from "school" to "institute" [in 1948]. We always believed criminals and the insane were sent to institutions. But when it was explained to us that the designation fit us perfectly, we dropped our opposition.

After graduation, I was a civilian with the Army in Huntsville, Ala., and later with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. In the Army I was assigned to the nuclear testing program in the South Pacific. During the late 1950s, I was part of the launch crew that detonated nuclear devices in outer space.

Once, when leaving the states, we had a stopover on Kwajalein, and there I saw Professor Alan Pope of aerospace engineering. Several months later, when returning, we saw each other again! We hadn't seen each other in 15 years, but our paths crossed twice in the middle of the Pacific.

My years with NASA were the most interesting and exciting of my life. I had the opportunity to work closely with some of the great scientists of the world. I also worked closely with the astronauts, although I was not [a personal acquaintance]. I was in several meetings with astronauts [Richard] Truly and [John] Young, and they were two of the most gracious people I have ever known.

Thanks to Georgia Tech, I have been able to live a good and exciting lifeand make a comfortable living along the way.

E. R. Ritch, IM '47

Huntsville, Ala.

Time Factor

The excellent presentation of the history of Georgia Tech in the 75th Anniversary edition of the Alumni Magazine provided several hours of pleasant memories as I revisited the past.

On Page 45, in the second paragraph, and on the time-line at the foot of the page, it says the issue of racial desegregation [at Tech] first erupted in 1956. I believe that the Sugar Bowl game with Pittsburgh took place on Jan. 1, 1956; therefore, the attempted ban of Tech's participation and the resulting protest may actually have taken place in late 1955. This detail, although minor, may be worthy of investigation and correction.

Larry E. Haller, IM '61

Lake Worth, Fla.

Cooling Third World

The Summer 1998 issue had an article called "Einstein's Refrigerator" that described work done by Tech student Andy Delano. I work with an organization which has been active for two decades and adapts products and technologies for the Third World. Having operated on grants and with the volunteer efforts of many devoted people, the organization has provided many useful products to enhance the lives of those in the Third World. There have also been some hard lessons learned over the years in this effort.

The article said the refrigeration cycle could be used in under-developed areas. I would like to see where things might lead.

Ervin C. Lentz,

ME '53

Compatible Technologies Inc.

Shoreview, Minn.

Einstein's Cool Invention

I read the article, "Einstein's Refrigerator" (Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine, Summer 1998), and a refrigerator, such as I believe was described, was manufactured in the United States for a number of years by Servel in Evansville, Ind. The company was later renamed ArkLa-Servel, after being acquired by the Arkansas Louisiana Gas Co. The one purchased by my parents in 1947 still runs perfectly well. My father once told me that he had spent 39 cents in repair costs (to replace the copper pilot-light tubing), although I believe he later replaced the rubber gasket around the exterior door.

An inquiry on the Internet shows that parts are readily available and that similar refrigerators are still be ing manufactured, particularly for trailers, remotely located cabins and similar uses. In fact, I even found reference to research being conducted that would eliminate the natural or manufactured gas burner by using solar radiation, as suggested in the quote by [graduate student Andy] Delano. The proposed use, I believe, was to provide refrigerated storage of medical supplies in under-developed areas of Africa. I must be missing something concerning the uniqueness of Einstein's refrigerator being studied at Georgia Tech.

Don Banks,

CE '62, MS CE '63
Vicksburg, Miss.

Cool Idea Sounds Familiar

The article, "Einstein's Refrigerator," in the Summer 1998 issue, indicates that the described refrigeration process is a new way to generate cooling using ammonia, water and heat.

This type of refrigeration has been used commercially for many years by several manufacturers. My recreational vehicle has a system described above using propane or 12-volt electricity or 120-volt electricity as a heat source. Unless I missed something, the system is not really new.

M. K. Russom, Cls '53

Mableton, Ga.

While the article mentioned that Electrolux bought Einstein's most promising patents to protect its own refrigeration technology from competition, it did not go into all the technological differences. Dr. Samuel Shelton, who was Andy Delano's faculty adviser, explains:

The Electrolux company had a patent by Platen & Munters on a cycle using ammonia, water and hydrogen. Refrigerators were made in this country by Servel using the Platen & Munters cycle in the 1920s. These natural-gas-fired refrigerators were replaced by electric refrigerators using the vapor compression cycle when electricity became widely available in the 1930s. Small refrigerators for camping, etc., still use the cycle today.

The Platen/Munters cycle is a totally different cycle from Einstein's cycle. Einstein was well aware of this cycle and set out to develop a different cycle to accomplish the same thing that could operate over wider temperature applications, would not use explosive hydrogen and would be more efficient. He did that with the Einstein cycle, which operates in a totally different manner.

We have been unable to find any reference to one being built and operated. In fact, subsequent patents by others stated that the Einstein cycle could not work. It is interesting to see the "inversion" of the Einstein cycle compared to the Platen/Munters cycle. It is truly an ingenious cycle compared to any other. We believe that it has numerous benefits stemming from a potentially higher efficiency and ability to be applied to applications that, with the restricted operating temperature range, the Platen/Munters cycle cannot serve.

Andy Delano's thesis is on Dr. Shelton's Web site at: under "Publications." Delano's thesis is found in its entirety, and it has a section on the ammonia/water/hydrogen, Platen/Munters, Servel cycle.

Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine welcomes your contributions to the ongoing dialogue about the 75th anniversary of the magazineor your feedback on any subject related to our contents. Please address all correspondence to Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine, Alumni/Faculty House, 190 North Ave., NW, Atlanta, GA 30313. Fax (404) 894-5113. E-mail: editor@alumni. For e-mail, please include city and telephone number. Letters may be edited for clarity, length or content.

Gold Mine Issue

As I'm sure is the case for most alums, when I get the Alumni Magazine, I look first for articles about people I know or subjects with which I directly relate. The summer issue was a gold mine for me.

First the article about my cousin, Larry Lord. We started Tech together in 1960, and I've followed his work closely, including visiting some of the buildings the article highlights. Second, Gil Amelio and I were graduate students together in the School of Physics in the mid-'60s. Third, the article on Einstein's refrigerator, which, as a physicist, I found interesting, and in addition the student's adviser is my close friend, Professor Sam Shelton.

Finally, I'm planning to visit Tech's French campus in Metz when I'm in the area this summerwhile Professor Shelton is teaching over there. So thanks for an issue unusually relevant for me and my family.

John Moseley, Phys '64,

MS Phys '66, Ph.D. '69

Professor of Physics, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

University of Oregon

Eugene, Ore.

Outstanding Job

The Summer 1998 Alumni Magazine continues your outstanding job in producing an outstanding magazine. Keep up the good work.

John A. Siewert, IM '61

LaVerne, Calif.

Timely Mickey Mouse

When I recently attended a reunion of Georgia Tech ceramic engineers at the annual convention of the American Ceramic Society in Cincinnati, mention was made by professors and peers of mine regarding many of the "antics" I pulled during my student days.

While I never took a "T" from the tower, and I was not even sure where to find the steam whistle ... I will admit to placing the first Mickey Mouse on the clock adorning the Skiles classroom building.

I was a final-quarter graduate student in the fall of 1978, and I thought that Mickey would provide an appropriate finale to more than five years of mischief on my part. The sponsoring organization for the clock caper was a mythical company named Smaxton Inc., comprising me and a friend named Henry Claxton. You can just make out our corporate signature"Smaxton"at the bottom of the picture, which was published in the Technique shortly after the act.

Another of my endeavors (pre-Smaxton) was the painting of a meticulous 40-foot high "GT" on the back of Stone Mountain in 1975. The park service was not impressed and came within a hair of catching me and two buddies before we completed our work. We finally finished the job three years later, wisely choosing a moonless night instead of a sunny afternoon as a backdrop! Park officials obliterated our masterpiece with gray paint within a week. Occasionally, I visit Atlanta and the Tech campus. My two children get a kick out of the Mickey Mouse that Dad made. But I'll give you fair warning: My oldest child has picked up the Georgia Tech bug, and you'll probably be seeing him in another eight years!

Lindsey K.


CerE '77, MS CerE '78


Wow About Howe

I enjoyed the article on Bones Howe [Summer 1998 Alumni Magazine]. I was a liner-note fanatic as a kid. What a great treat to find a name I followed throughout the '60s and '70s is a Georgia Tech alum!

Jane Skelton, IM '77


Unfunctional Design

In the Summer edition of the Alumni Magazine, I was disappointed to see that the very prominent gear assemblies on the front of the Manufacturing Research Center were designed so that they won't mesh and therefore could not possibly work.

Of all places to have an error like this at an engineering school on the Manufacturing Research Building.

Bob Crossfield ME '40

Griffin, Ga.

Appearances can be deceiving. In fact, the teeth fit together and it would appear the gears do mesh. However, Ward O. Winer, chair of the Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, asked for some expert opinions. Here are two:

Thank you to the official sponsors of the

Advance Technology


Andersen Consulting

Atlanta Technical Support

BellSouth Mobility

The Coca-Cola Company

Delta Air Lines

Delta Technology

IKON Office Solutions

J.C. Bradford & Co.


Jenny Pruitt &



Lockheed Martin

MBNA America Bank

MBNA Insurance Services


On Money

Piedmont Hospital


Printpack Inc.

Reflex International

Renaissance Atlanta Hotel

Renaissance PineIsle Resort

The Ritz-Carlton

Scientific Atlanta

Southwest Research


Sun Trust Bank

Technology Park/Atlanta



Wyndham Midtown Hotel